Monday, June 2, 2014

Drinks for Summertime

Pineapple, Carrot, Celery Smoothie

I just got a Vitamix for my birthday after wanting one for a couple of years.  I've completely burned out cheap blender after cheap blender, smoke billowing from the motor and all, trying to create Vitamix-quality smoothies to no avail.  Since I got the Vitamix, I've been experimenting with recipes from books & blogs, as well as my own concoctions.  I think I got it right this afternoon with this pineapple, carrot, celery smoothie.  It was light & refreshing & not too sweet, but perfect for a hot Summer afternoon.

Pineapple, Carrot, Celery Smoothie
1 cup pineapple chunks
a handful of baby carrots (or one large carrot cut into pieces)
1 stalk celery cut into pieces
1/2 cup coconut water
1/2 cup ice
Add all ingredients into the Vitamix & blend until smooth.

   
Cold-Brewed Coffee

Another one of my favorite Summer drinks is iced coffee.  I haven't been able to get it right at home, so I was resigned to the fact that I'd have to make a daily trip to Starbucks for my caffeine fix.  Until last week...  I came across this blog post from Whole Foods about cold-brewing coffee at home.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try, and the results were amazing.  I have since started keeping the cold-brewed coffee concentrate in my refrigerator & I can mix up an iced coffee whenever I want.  I used Starbucks French Roast ground coffee that I picked up at the grocery store.


Strawberry Basil Sangria

Summer & sangria were meant for each other like peanut butter & jelly or Ross & Rachel.  When I came across this recipe on Pinterest, I knew I had to try it.  It was refreshing & sweet, but almost too sweet like fruit punch.  Next time I might try making it without adding the sugar at the start.  Possibly letting the natural sugars in the strawberries and white grape juice add their sweetness to the sangria, then adding a little bit of sugar before serving if it isn't sweet enough.  I loved the flavor combination of the chardonnay, strawberries & basil.  And the colors of the fruits & basil really looked beautiful in my pitcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment