Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Burlap Wreath DIY

 Fall wreaths for my front doors have been on my to-do list for a few weeks now, and I finally finished one of them yesterday.  It was a lot easier to put together than I thought it would be.  I was able to complete it from start to finishin about an hour.
 I bought two 18 inch wire wreath frames from AC Moore.
 I also picked up a spool of floral wire from AC Moore.
 I went to Jo-Ann's Fabrics for the burlap.  I bought 3 yards of 48" natural burlap.
 I saw this leaf garland at AC Moore, and thought it would be a good way to add some Fall color to my wreath.
 I laid the burlap out on the floor in my front entryway--that's where I have a pretty big area of floor space.  I cut 6" wide strips along the length of the fabric.  Since burlap is a loose weave fabric, I only measured the 6" at the bottom edge and tried to cut in between the lengthwise yarns as best I could.  This saved a lot of time--normally I would measure the fabric in increments and mark off a straight line with a ruler and fabric chalk.  Plus, the nature of burlap is kind of rough, and the overall look to the wreath would be natural, I didn't think I needed to be so precise with this project.
 Here you can see my first cut strip of fabric.  I ended up with eight 6" wide strips; four strips of fabric for each wreath.
 To start, I tied the end of the first burlap strip to the wire frame using a small length of floral wire, making sure I tied it to one of the two inner wires on the frame.
 I folded my burlap in half lengthwise so my loops would have a little more stiffness.  I pushed a loop through the innermost space on the wire frame.  I just estimated the size of the loop--no measuring required.
 Then I pushed a loop through the middle space on the wire frame.  Again, just estimate.
 Finally, I pushed a loop through the outermost space on the wire frame. 
I kept pushing loops through the wire frame in the same order--innermost, middle, and outermost spaces on the frame--until i had three rows of three loops within one section.  I then moved over to the next section on the wreath using the same pattern.  Each 3 yard long strip of burlap filled two sections on my wreath frame--18 loops total.  When one length of burlap would end, I'd tie it to the frame using the floral wire, then tie on a new length of burlap to continue.
When the wreath was finished, I fluffed the loops to get a full look around the wreath.  I then used the floral wire to attach my leaf garland.  I found a wooden "Welcome" sign (shown above) in the dollar bins at Target, that I hot glued to the bottom of the wreath.  I also found an "Autumn" sign there for the other wreath.  These will be ready to go on my front doors on November 1st--until then, Mr. Bones & the rest of the creepy decor will be up for Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment