Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Butternut Squash Risotto



Butternut Squash Risotto




Risotto is my "I don't know what to make for dinner" dinner.  It's warm & comforting, and I can almost always make it with what I have on hand in my pantryThis recipe uses a whole butternut squash, one of my favorite vegetables, and one that's in abundance this time of year.  We've been getting the best winter squash (butternut, acorn, spaghetti) delivered to our door by The Produce Box.


2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
coarse salt & ground pepper
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 32-ounce box low sodium vegetable broth, mixed with 1/2 cup water and heated
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage

1. In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.  Add squash; season with salt & pepper.  Cover & cook, stirring often, until the edges soften, 6 to 8 minutes.  (I find by covering the pot, the squash steams & softens quicker.)

2. Add rice; stir to coat.  Add wine; cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.

3. Add 1/2 cup broth mixture.  Cook, stirring, until almost all liquid is absorbed.  Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more, 35 to 40 minutes total.  (I know most people constantly stir risotto, but I stir every other minute or so while trying to clean up my kitchen in between.  You just want to make sure you're adding more broth before the risotto absorbs too much & dries out.)

4. Stir in Parmesan, sage, remaining 1 tablespoon butter and salt to taste.  Serve immediately.  Makes 4 servings.

Adapted from Martha Stewart.

No comments:

Post a Comment